Saturday, February 14, 2009

What's All The Buzz About?





Happy Valentine's Day! I've been waiting for several weeks to tell the story of one of my most memorable Valentine's Days.

It happened when I was teaching high school math in California. It was a normal day in my Advanced Algebra class. Then, about 30 minutes into the class, Angie, one of my most dramatic female students had an issue. Her purse started buzzing. Now, let's back up a real quick. For the most part, I was a pretty easy going teacher. But, I had one very, very strict rule- NO CELL PHONES DURING CLASS! I made this very clear and the students knew better. It was not only due to my complete hatred of cell phones and the horrible behavior that they have created, but also because of the distraction they cause. So back to Angie... Her purse started buzzing...loudly. She leaned over towards her purse and I snapped at her. "You know the rule, NO PHONES". Apparently, Angie was under the impression that she could "out wise ass" Mr. JewBoy. Well, that's a challenge few people are brave enough to take and even fewer are successful with. She responded with, "Just cause it's vibrating doesn't mean it's a phone". Yup, that was her witty retort. I didn't know what to say. I just stood there in awe wondering if she had any idea what the hell she just said in front of a class full of 11th graders. (and almost half of that class was made up of horny boys) I waited a second, realized it was probably not in my best interest to respond, took a step back and I said... "Wow, anyone wanna take this for me?" About six of the guys all started in at once, "Gotta keep it in your purse?" "You that hard up for it" "Can't get a real guy" and so on. I let it go for about a minute or so, figuring if they said it, I'd be off the hook, then cut them off and continued class.

Since it was a holiday, I decided to wrap up class a few minutes early. I told the kids they could just hang out for the remaining time and that's when the temptation got the best of me. I asked if anyone had any exciting plans for the night...besides Angie and her purse. The class went nuts and somehow, I wasn't fired. Unbelievable.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That got me laughing, but next time you should put "Adult humor" as Kenzie wanted me to read it to her & about 1/4 of the way into it I realized it was NOT child-friendly.