Thursday, January 8, 2009

You know IT...

This blog goes out to all of my readers with jobs that have something to do with IT. If you think the word I just wrote was "it" with a typo, you're the kind of person I will be talking about...well, picking on really. The rest of you know I meant IT, as in Information Technology. Computers, cell phones, software, engineering, car navigation systems, whatever. From the person that works at best buy, to the person that does circuit development for cell phone microchips and everything in between we all share the same pains.

Here's a list of some of those pains:

You are tech support (TS) for your entire family and their friends (F&F). This is especially painful when working with people that know as much about technology as Orthodox Jews know about the deliciousness of pork products. Mmmmmmm, bacon. Typical conversations may include the following dialog... TS- "Is the monitor on" F&F-"What's the monitor" TS-"The screen" F&F-"Oh, you mean that TV thingy" TS-"Ugh, yes...the TV thingy"

Your parents and grandparents have absolutely no idea what you do at work, no matter how long or detailed your explanation. If anyone asks them what you do, the answer is always the same "He works with Computers".

As Tech Support, (and usually free tech support) no matter how much time you spend cleaning up and fixing their computer that was either broken or riddled with viruses or spyware, if there is even one icon in a different place when you are finished, they will be angry and unsatisfied with your work. This, of course, is if you are even able to repair the catastrophic damage they have caused by years of misuse. If it can't be fixed, (without major upgrades that will undoubtably cost more than the current value of the computer) you are forced to accept the "Hmmmmph, I guess you're not such a computer hot shot after all" look that they will inevitably give you before telling you they will just have the 8 year old boy next door fix it since he's "really good with computers".

You receive IM's like this:

AuntBubbie:Dear JewBoy, It was good to see you
guys the
other night. I'm glad that you were both
able to come for dinner. It's always so nice to have
the two of you here. You really are such a lovely
couple. We look forward to seeing you two again
real soon. Love, Aunt Bubbie

JewBoy:Thanks, we had a good time too
JewBoy:We'll have to do it again
AuntBubbie: That sounds good. We can do it
next Thursday. Your uncle's bridge game was
cancelled so he will be home. I can make soup with
the little noodles that you like. Love, Aunt Bubbie


So I say to all of you...Don't do it! Let them call "Steve" (who we really know is Gujara Rajenabar) at Dell Tech Support and have them try to figure it out. It'll save you the headache. Or, to avoid the problem completely, you can proudly wear this shirt....









P.S. No Joke, while typing this blog (and just about finished) I received a phone call from a F&F that "their wireless internet wasn't working and they wanted me to fix it". My response, "I didn't know you had wireless" F&F- "I don't, it's the neighbor's." Me- "So you want me to fix the internet that you are stealing from your neighbor's house" F&F- "Well it was working earlier...nevermind."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot! I got it working. I always do. Now off to be the support at my house. Ken wants to use the computer & needs help from ME. See I CAN do it. I just choose to ask you for help to make things easier.

JewBoy said...

Who said it was you? Well, besides you of course.