Sunday, March 22, 2009

Supermarket Stumpers...

So I went to the Grocery store today and came across a couple of things that, well, kind of stumped me. The first item had a couple of things that made me scratch my head. See the image below. (Click on it for a larger view and to read my notes.)



As you may know, I love pizza. Especially NYC style pizza...we've covered this in My Ode To Pizza. So naturally, a product like this caught my eye. However, there are a couple of interesting things going on here. First of all, it was in the Kosher-Foods frozen food case of the grocery store. You can see from the circled U on the bottom left of the box (indicating that it is kosher) and the Hebrew letters in the company name on the top left of the box, that this product has received many a rabbinical thumbs up. What concerned me were two other things. First of all, this box of New York Style pizza slices (and all of the others in the freezer case) comes with a free burrito. WTF? Why would a Kosher NYC style frozen come with a free burrito? I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it's safe to say that the "target audience" for a product like this is going to appreciate an additional free item more than most. But a burrito? Someone in the marketing department was way off on this one. The demand for burritos among the Jewish community is about as prevelant as the demand for Matzah balls among the Mexican community. Dumb. But that's not all that's odd about this picture. As you may remember, this was in the Kosher foods freezer. Now, for those of you that are familiar with the laws of kashrut, you may have already noticed. Yes, to the left of the Kosher NYC style Rabbi approved pizzas is a large display of frozen shrimp. Shrimp are about as kosher as a bacon cheeseburger. This is right up there with the Hanukkah display at Walgreens that I spoke of in Jew Don't Know Me.


Next we have this one: (Again, click on the picture for the full image.)



This is a can of Grape Crush...easily one of my favorite beverages. MinuteMaid, Twister, Welch's grape sodas...they're all CRAP! They all taste like liquid children's Tylenol to me. Grape Crush however, is a vastly superior soda. So as I've indicated, the ingredients clearly list "Grape Juice Concentrate". But then, above the nutritional information, in bold, clearly states "Contains No Juice". Are you as confused as I am? Last I checked, Grape Juice Concentrate was considered juice. I have sent a letter to the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group (Current Owners of the Crush brand). The letter stated:

Dear Dr. Pepper Snapple Group,

While enjoying a delicious can of your Grape Crush soda today, I noticed that grape juice concentrate was listed as an ingredient. Then I noticed that the can said "Contains No Juice". So...Which one is it?

JewBoy

The web form promised a response to all questions, so we'll see what they have to say for themselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very funny, I will wait for the response. Check out the kosher for passover section. there are all kinds of strange things there. I like the kosher for passover burrito kit.ANd the kosher for passover Pizza. MMMM must be yummy!just like cardboard.
M

jschettini said...

take the apostrophe out of "thumb's"...they don't own anything

melissa o said...

Burrito and pizza...don't lie. You've tried it.

-J. Nilsson (Joel Nelson) said...

J. Dawg! I like me some grape soda too, unless, does grape crush have that damn Sodium benzoate in it? No real fruit juice is the least of your worries if your drink sports that crazy chemical concoction. Good eyes. And funny free burrito spotting!