Wednesday, December 17, 2008

One D Ten T 5...


After Graduating College, I moved to Southern California in search of the perfect electrical engineering job. Unfortunately, it was 2002 and the technical job market sucked. It wasn't as bad as now is I'm sure, but still pretty bad…dot com burst and all that. Long story short, I started substitute teaching which quickly turned into a full time teaching job. I taught High School Algebra I and Algebra II. Yes…me, a teacher, in charge of the welfare and education of a room full of impressionable teenagers…awesome. I learned many valuable lessons from my students while teaching. For example, wrapping your thumb and pointer finger in scotch tape prevents the dreaded red-orange fingers when eating Flamin' Hot Cheetos. I also learned that young girls aren't afraid to publicly offer their teacher a lap dance to improve their grade. (Relax…I turned her down.) But most of all, I learned that this country could be in really big trouble in the future. Some of, well actually, most of those kids were total idiots. Now I know people will think I'm sooooo mean by calling the kids idiots. Fair enough. I'll present you the facts and you can be the judge. (Just so you know, the facts will be incredibly biased in favor of my side of the argument. My blog, my rules, deal with it.)

Here goes:

Situation 1-

Mr. JewBoy, "Ok, see the problem on the board, solve for X" (see problem on board in the picture above)

Student "Huh?"

Mr. JewBoy "Figure out what number X has to be to make the equation true"

Student "Pssshhhh, I don't know that shit."

Mr. JewBoy "OK, let's work through it. Since X is being divided by 6, we have to multiply it by 6, that way they cancel. If we do it to one side, we have to do it to the other…just like we've been talking about for the past 5 weeks.

Student "Ummmmm, ok"

Mr. JewBoy "Good, so the sixes on the right side cancel, now we just have to multiply the 3 on the left side by 6.

Student "OK"

Mr. JewBoy "OK, so what's 3 times 6"

Student "Ummmmm, 16 something?"

Mr. JewBoy "No…and I can't even begin to explain how many different ways that's wrong"

I would have given him some credit if he had just said 16, at least that's close. However, the fact that he thought it was "16 something" showed that even at age 15, he had absolutely no clue how numbers work…at all.

Situation 2-

Mr. JewBoy "…it's something that is used in all 50 states"

Student 1 "You mean 52 states Mr. JewBoy, there's 52 states, haha, you're wrong."

Mr. JewBoy "No, there's 50 states."

Student 1 "Nope, there's 52"

Student 2 "Yeah, there's 52"

Mr. JewBoy "No, I'm absolutely 100% sure there are 50 states."

Student 1 "Nope, there's 52, Ha! You forgot about Alaska and Hawaii"

Mr. JewBoy "Alaska and Hawaii are part of the 50. There are 50 states, I promise. That's why there are 50 stars on the flag."

Student 3 "Oh, that's what those stars are for?"

That pretty much sums up the 5 classes of Einsteins-to-be that I dealt with every day. Still think I'm mean for calling them idiots?



(Just in case some of you went to a similar school and don't get the title, One D Ten T 5 = 1D10T5)

3 comments:

jschettini said...

welcome to my world...sigh

sitdowncomedy said...

Ah yes........I remember it well.

Leah said...

that is pretty sad considering I work on 1 to 1 correspondenc with preschoolers...with special needs...and they get it!

I am so excited for when we retire and these idiots take over.